Thursday, June 9, 2011

Relaxing Night of Jazz

My friend Matt is a jazz vibrophonist. He informed me that he would be in the Delaware Water Gap having a meal with a professor from ESU before playing in a jam session, so I decided to stop by. The jam session was at a place called the Deer Head Inn, which is apparently the jazz haven of eastern Pennsylvania. Upon my arrival, I made my way around the bar to say hi to Matt's parents and take a seat at a table right in front of the small stage. Matt was playing with Bill Goodwin and a bunch of other guys. I was excited because I knew the song, which happened to be "Night and Day" by Cole Porter. Once Matt completed the set, Bob Dorough came up to play "Happy Birthday" on the piano because it was the piano player's 40th birthday. For those of you who don't know, Bob Dorough happens to be the man who wrote the music for School House Rock. Professor Dorian then came over to say hi and I was surprised that he happened to remember me from when I had him for a class my sophomore year of college. In his words, I had a 106 average and probably took 125 credits with hardly a B (yes I had some don't worry). I was greatly amused by all of this. Professor Dorian took Matt around to meet a few of the jazz greats who happened to be in the room, including Bob Dorough, Phil Woods, and Dave Liebman. I actually got to hear Dave Liebman play, which was pretty cool. Professor Dorian was then kind enough to offer to buy me a drink, so I ordered a Coca Cola. Overall, it was a great evening full of great jazz and some really cool, laid back people. I would definitely like my future Thursday nights to be this entertaining and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment