Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Learning to Get Rid of Bitterness



I'll admit that I was quite anxious to see my grandma again after 12 long years. I do not really know why it was so long in between visits, but I believe that pent up bitterness might have existed for reasons unknown. Following the visit, I felt better about life and was happy that my grandma appeared to show interest. I guess part of me always wondered if she really cared about me, and I finally realized that she does, but prefers to not have a major part in my life. This made me turn to Ephesians 4:31-32 which says Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. In essence, I will now be content with writing my grandma letters and sending pictures and not necessarily seeing her because that is just the way things are. There is no reason to hold a grudge over her absence. Instead, I will be grateful for what I have.

2 comments:

  1. As it should be; every generation makes its own path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dag, you and Uncle Bob both look like a pair of hippies, Mom! :D

    ReplyDelete