Sunday, May 29, 2011

One Does Not Always Need to Travel Far From Home

Many people might feel that in order to have an adventure they must travel far from home. So far this weekend I have discovered that this is not necessarily the case. Following class Friday morning, I ate lunch and ran some errands before making the drive from East Stroudsburg to Galilee. I was trying to avoid the heavy traffic for the holiday weekend, so I booked it out of Eastburg without stopping for gas. I figured that I would get it in Wallenpaupack. As I made my way up 402, I ended up having to detour onto 84 due to some downed trees and power lines from the storms the previous evening. I found my way back on track as I was running low on gas but, unfortunately, I had forgotten that Wallenpaupack did not have electricity, and thus, no way to pump gas. I was getting nervous after the fourth gas station not being open, so I continued on towards Honesdale, where there happened to be one functioning gas station. I then went home to nap before my nightshift at Lander's River Trips in Skinners Falls.
Little did I know that work would be quite unusual. Skinners Falls got hit really hard by the storm, which caused trees/power lines to block the eastern entrance to the campground. On top of that, about 6 trees came down at the campground, some of which fell on a lean-to and trailer full of kayaks. Needless to say, there's no power at the campground except for some generators maintaining the well water, cash register, icecream freezer, and two lamps. To top this all off, it's Memorial Day Weekend and Bethel Woods is hosting a 3-night Phish concert, so you can imagine just how hectic the weekend has been, although entertaining as well. Phish Phans are much like modern day Dead Heads, which means the sweet aroma of marijuana wafts in anytime they walk in from the storm. Ironically they all seemed to be hungry at 2am after the buses came back from the show, which provided me with some entertainment in the otherwise quiet store. I thoroughly enjoyed their antics and how laid back they all were. Between that and some friends showing up randomly both nights I've worked so far, my night shifts haven't been too terrible. We'll see how tonight plays out. Read the attached article for some snippets about the weather and Phish Phans.
Phish and Weather

No comments:

Post a Comment