Thursday, May 3, 2012

New Jersey and All That Jazz

Since I've grown restless lately and I appreciate music, since I have no musical talent, I decided to go to Shanghai Jazz in Madison, NJ, this evening to see my dear friend, Matt Hoffmann play drums. He was accompanying Dan Levinson, who played the clarinet and tenor saxophone, and Mark Shane, on piano. The place had  a nice laid back atmosphere so that I felt comfortable instead of out of place. I chose to sit at the bar so that I could also watch the Yankee game that was playing, though the owner also switched on the Rangers playoff game.
I really enjoyed getting to sit back and relax and listen to jazz. I've always felt drawn to the Roaring 20s, so it should really not come as a surprise that I enjoy jazz. Plus, thanks to my brother and Matt, I've been listening to it in some shape or form since I was about 12. The group of course played the jazz staple "Night & Day" by Cole Porter, along with a number of other tunes. I was amused by Mark's comment of, "I tried to learn this in pig latin, but it didn't work out," before one of the few songs he sang. He also took the time to thank the owners for letting him play the gong after years of practice, and one of them responded with, "Yea it was that time in the cave with Yoda." As you can tell, everybody was all laid back, which I think is what I like about jazz and jazz musicians. I think one of my favorite moments of the evening was when Dan Levinson introduced Matt and said, "He comes from way up in the mountains, almost like 'Deliverance,' but I guess it's okay if you have a banjo." I found this statement to be completely accurate.
At intermission and after the show, I had a chance to chat with Matt, which was great considering I haven't seen him in four months. He reintroduced me to Mark Shane who remembered me after he was reminded that I'm Nick's sister. Glad that's always an "in" with everybody :) We caught up on life and discussed our frustrations with the job searching in today's economy. I think his best piece of advice, though, was when he told me, "It's who you are, not where you are." He's completely right with that. No matter where I end up, I will always be me and that will help me enjoy whatever situation God places me in.
You dig! (it's a jazz thing, don't ask)

No comments:

Post a Comment