Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Lumberjack Tourist


So far my first two days in Renton, WA, have been interesting. I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting out of the trip because I made no real plans other than booking my flights to and from Seatac. Okay, that's not totally true. I wanted to visit the Freemont Troll, too, but other than that, I was going about this trip day-by-day to see what it would present.
My first day, I slept in until 10am in order to beat jetlag before it had a chance to fully set in. I'm in a cozy little room and the end of the house, crashing on what would be a futon if I pulled it out, but I prefer sleeping on couches because I'm weird. After I showered, Jimbo asked if I wanted to go to the Museum of Flight since he had extra tickets. I was pretty excited about this prospect because my grandfather was an aerospace engineer who tested spacesuits with Northrop Grumman and then worked on F-14 tomcats and spiral staircase designs for Boeing.
Before the museum, we went to an eclectic diner named, Randy's. It had a sign proclaiming that they were "always open," which was tempting me to show up in the middle of the night to see if this was in fact true. Also, as we pulled into Randy's, there was this really cool drive thru Starbucks constructed completely out of shipping containers. It was a rather unique setup, but I digress. I enjoyed the interior of Randy's because it was decked out in military and flight memorabilia. There were books on the back of the benches to read if you were interested, and old bombshells and parachutes along the walls and floor. I enjoyed some french toast and bacon before we ventured over to the Museum of Flight.
Once inside, there was a man who kindly suggested that we check out the Amelia Earhart exhibit, since it was only going to be there for another week. Jimbo and I wandered down to that floor and spent lots of time gazing up at all of the planes suspended from the ceiling. We made our way to the exhibit, and in typical fashion, we managed to wander through it backwards. I enjoyed learning about her life and how she influenced aviation. It was intriguing to read her thoughts on marriage from a letter she wrote to her soon to be husband. From there, we went through the Space Exhibit, which was one of my personal favorites because my grandfather helped work on the original lunar excursion module, tested space suits, and knew a handful of the original astronauts from the Mercury and Gemini programs. Soon we wandered to the WWI and WWII exhibits, which explained how dogfighting in the air came into being. There were many stories about pilot survival rate, pilots witnessing their wingmen getting shot down, and differences in the planes utilized during both wars. After these exhibits, Jimbo and I took the skywalk over the road to check out the mockup of the space shuttle. I had to laugh at the awful music playing along the walkway; it was a step down from elevator music, all puns intended. It was amazing to see the capacity of the space shuttle and learn how much fuel it burned. We then ended our tour by wandering through the British Airways Concorde that was on the premises. There was some excess condensation in one of the windows, so Jimbo and I joked that it just needed some fish to turn it into an aquarium.
This morning I got up around 9am. Since the weather was decent, Jimbo and I opted to go do some tree work for a few of his clients. I was happy that I packed some plaid in order to maintain the classic lumberjack look. We stopped for breakfast at Jay Berry's and then made our way to the first job. I mostly supervised on the first tree, and took a few pictures to pass the time. For the second tree, I was manning the rope that was tied to the branches so they could be slowly lowered to the ground since they were so close to the guy's house. We then made a quick stop at Jimbo's mom's house for some pop and chit-chat before venturing to the last job. We needed to prune the top of a tree in this woman's yard, so I spent the second half of my afternoon up on a 12 foot ladder using a pruning saw and lopping sheers in order to cut off certain branches while Jimbo just climbed the tree like the monkey that he is. With teamwork, we cut the time of the job in half, and I was happy to learn a few new skills while helping out. I came home covered in sawdust, but was happy for my contribution to the work.
We finished off our day by going to see The Grand Budapest Hotel. As expected, it was completely, utterly, ridiculous, which was just what I was looking for. And as weird as this sounds, my favorite part involved Willem Dafoe and a cat...reminiscent of The Boondock Saints...sort of. But the whole feel of the movie was much like something out of Monty Python.

No comments:

Post a Comment