Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Simple Bliss of Home

I had an inkling two nights ago when my eyes began to ache, so I took my contacts out. And then I ended up dozing off on the couch around 7:30, which is unheard of for me. I awoke about two hours later with a lingering pain when I swallowed, and that's when I had to mentally admit that I'd caught yet another cold from a return flight. The price you have to pay for traveling, I guess.
The next morning I woke up with the full body ache and resigned myself to spending time on the couch, which was unfortunate because it was such a beautiful day and I hated to waste it. I napped on and off all day, but in the midst of my Bones marathon, I opted to take a blanket outside and lay in the sun until the wind felt like picking up and I had to once again venture inside. I thankfully had enough energy to make it to church in the evening to enjoy the Will Gaulkin Evangelistic Team put on an Irish Folk Concert at church. Even though I'm not Irish, I knew a bunch of the tunes that were played because I love that kind of music. It really put a smile on my exhausted face, especially being able to be there with my parents on either side of me. You see, when you are blessed with the opportunity to travel around the country, time home is sometimes sporadic, and must not be overlooked as a blessing in itself. It's not everyday that I can take in folk music with my parents, sick or healthy. On top of that, I need to remember what a beautiful area I live in, and I got that reminder tonight.
I can't quite put my finger on why, but this evening, I felt like a great weight was lifted off my shoulders. Maybe it was texts and emails with a friend who was thoughtful enough to inquire about my recent travels without me having to initiate the conversation. Maybe it was from watching The Help, which served as a reminder that people aren't always who you think they are. Maybe it was my health thankfully restoring itself quickly so that I feel like I have energy again. Or maybe it was the simple reminder from reading a blog post that we must take the time to enjoy every moment we have and think that where we are is exactly where we're meant to be on that particular day. It could be a combination of all of these things, but I almost feel like a completely new person, no longer concerned with what the world thinks and thankful for what blessings I do have in my life. Because let me tell you, focusing on that one thing you don't have in your life will sap all matter of energy out of your bones, and even your very soul.
Yet these things still aren't the best parts of my day. My favorite part of today involved a two minute walk to and from the mailbox tonight. In the dark. Right before midnight. Some of you might be city folk and gasping and the prospect of being female and walking alone at night. But if you're blessed with the opportunity to walk by yourself at night in the country, I suggest you take it because it's quite magical. Your senses are so keen to pick up the cool breeze on your face and the texture of rehardening gravel under your feet after an evening rain. And since spring has finally decided to make an appearance, the distinct sound of peepers can be heard near and far. Also, when you're three days away from a full moon, the night is by no means dark and scary. Sure, there are no city lights to illuminate your path, but I think it's even more beautiful to rely on the natural light of the moon. Plus, without street lights, you can actually see the brilliant stars up in the night sky that God intricately put into place.
My walk got me thinking, for once, not about what was missing in my life or where I should maybe be career wise. Instead, I looked forward to my summer that will be again spent along the Delaware River. I'm thankful for this one bit of consistency and the ability to make my own schedule, which should allow me to plan on having some friends visit in the summer to enjoy the great outdoors with me. I picture us kicking back in the bed of a pickup truck piled high with pillows to enjoy gazing at the night sky after roasting marshmallows over a campfire. What could be more adventurous than that? And to think, I am blessed with that opportunity in my own back yard. No need to travel thousands of miles. No need to make reservations. All I need to do is simply embrace the bliss that is my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment